Friday, March 6, 2009

Puasa & Raya

I first learnt to fast at the age of eight. Throughout the fasting month was the school holiday. By the end of the first week, I could see my neighbours mejemur tepung dan gula. By the end of second week, all the women folks would be busy making kuih. My mother would be busy menyiapkan baju-baju tempahan orang. She would be paid a dollar for a pair of sarung and baju kurung. Baju dan kain perlu "di-sembat". Itu kerja susah oi!

I had to help my grandma at the kitchen. Tukang henjut telor. My grandma would put 30 - 40 eggs in a large container, and I kena tepuk telur 'tu sampai naik. Campur tepung dan gula she made lovely "bahulu" dan "bangkit". Kuih-kuih 'tu kena bakar api atas/bawah. With all the gula she received from her 'murid-murid', she would make a variety of halua. Namely
1. Halua cermai
2. Halua Betik.
3. Halua Belimbing.
4. Halua Kundur.

Halua cermai yang paling I suka. Best!
Other than halua, she would also made "Lengkong Bersakar".

It was a blessing, none of us contracted diabetes after the "sugar-fiesta".

No comments:

Post a Comment